Member Mail 12 / 2020
Call for Protest Meetings on 11 September 2020, 11 a.m.
- Hot Dog on 10 September – Zurich Airport
- SEV-GATA General Meeting
- Report Current Contact Details
What is going on in aviation today was unheard of before. Even colleagues who have experienced a "grounding" have never seen aviation in such a global (!) crisis.
Companies are in distress, jobs are at risk. With great commitment, SEV-GATA has successfully campaigned for state support to be provided to avert the crisis:
- extended short-time work permits
- possibility to claim financial aid from the government.
In addition, we have always demanded a general CLA obligation in all flight and flight-related operations (including a declaration of general binding effect) and that the public sector – with its diverse "entanglements and access options" in this highly regulated industry – aggressively require and enforce this.
What is happening now, however, puts our future at risk:
Companies launch dramatic savings and cost-cutting programs.
Wages, old-age provision, working hours and deployment modalities are ruthlessly attacked, even social plans (the cushioning for layoffs) are to be worsened in the current crisis.
Swiss, for example, have requested negotiations on personnel cost savings of 15%! The negotiations have just started – information will follow.
Swissport intends to worsen working conditions with a whole arsenal of measures. Affected members have been informed directly by the negotiating union secretary with respect to the regionally varying negotiations.
Dear colleagues, now is the time for a reaction:
Let’s be clear, loud, and united: “Stop the social cuts – together against wage reductions!”
In collaboration with the other unions, we call for participation in our
next Friday, 11 September 2020, 11 a.m., at the airports in Geneva and Zurich. The details have been sent to you and can be found on our website (including a flyer for download).
Flyer Zurich / Flyer Geneva
- Not only those affected, but also friends, family, colleagues and others who stand in solidarity are welcome to participate.
- To protect ourselves and our colleagues, we will be wearing face masks during the meeting.
- Our message of “fear, anger and demand” is loud and clear. We refrain from any use of violence against people or objects; we will not disrupt airport operations, bother passers-by or passengers in any way.
- SEV-GATA provides a limited number of t-shirts, reflective vests, and masks.
- SEV-GATA is currently not performing any strike actions. Our union has clear democratic rules for strike actions and no such measures have yet been decided. At the same time, members of SEV-GATA will NEVER stab other colleagues in the back by being strike-breakers.
Hot Dog on 10 September – Zurich Airport
SEV-GATA will be on site at Zurich Airport on 10 September:
Where: Zurich Airport, Bravo 45 in front of the SWISS B Line Office
When: 10 September, 1 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Come by, enjoy a hot dog despite the difficult situation and discuss current events with us.
SEV-GATA GM: Register Now!
On 23 October 2020 at 5.15 p.m., this year’s anniversary general meeting (AGM) “20 Years SEV-GATA” will take place in the new “Lindt Home of Chocolate” in Kilchberg ZH. In addition to holding our ordinaryGM, we will visit the chocolate museum together with an expert guide and there will be an opportunity to chat over an aperitif.
Report Current Contact Details
Dear colleagues, we must stand together now: Let us send a strong signal against the planned wage cuts and create a basis to make sure the social achievements we have fought so hard for in the past decades do not fall victim to a short-term crisis.
Trade unions are committed, show solidarity and shape our future, because only together we are strong.
Philipp Hadorn, President
SEV-GATA, your union in the aviation idustry!